Translate

.

Thoughts are much appreciated!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Political adversity

Recently I heard that using the word "handicapped" is no longer politically correct. If a person who has a disability (that word isn't politically correct either) such as diabetes, they are a person who is diabetic, not someone who has diabetes. So does that mean, I am not a Mormon. I am someone who is Mormon?! Haha it's getting quite retarded. Oh, wait! That word isn't good to use either.

There are too many politically incorrect phrases nowadays! Honestly, it's annoying. Only because, who decides what's correct and what isn't anymore? These words, or phrases were okay at one point in time. So when someone gets highly offended, does that automatically make the term being used, "incorrect"?

My main problem with this evolvement of what terms are correct and what is now thought of as a "bad" word, and if you use it, people gasp as if you just swore like a sailor! The interesting fact about this matter is, the ones who inform me on what's politically correct are usually people who use the Lords name in vain, they swear, and they don't think it's bad. Well, I guess it's not if they don't see it that way. So why should I have to change what I say, because of its correctness or not, and sit around while those correcting me are using profanity to explain how their weekend of partying went?

I honestly don't get offended by much, if someone wants to drop the lords name in vain , I won't perk up in a gasp of offense. It's something they say because they are okay with it. I personally don't like it, and would rather them say something else...at least something that makes sense. I mean, when they say "Oh my God! I can't believe she did that!" are they praying to God that they can't believe she said that? I can think of kinder ways to pray to the Lord.

I say "retarded" a lot. Usually in reference to how dumb something is, or how dumb I am. I am not making fun of- how do I say this- a person who is not able to do something because of a conflict in their ability to do that certain something......Yeah?
I say retarded because I've grown up saying that, along with "that's gay", which I am sure I was saying long before I even actually knew what "gay" was.

Just like the old people at the old folks home, I grew up in a time where these words were used. They have different meanings than what they actually mean. My dad was using "negro" when describing a black person. I told him he should probably not say that word, because it's politically incorrect. Well, apparently when he was growing up, it was a term used to describe a black person, not in a negative way. The negative way is, well, we all know.

I am sure my kids will correct me on what I should stop saying, because it's offensive. Until that day, I will continue to describe my day as retarded. I will see the blue parking lot sign with a stick person in a wheelchair, and know that because it says "handicapped" that does not make it incorrect and that it means someone has to park closer because of a shortness in ability to park further.

I do feel, however, the next time I am shunned for describing my day as retarded, I will mention that every time they use the Lords name in vain- I want to punch them in the face. Since I'm close with the big guy, I won't, because he still loves them and hopes that someday they will use his name in prayer, and not in vain.

Plzndthnku for reading. :)

1 comment:

  1. The politically correctness changes with the times. I am older than your dad and was also taught to say, "Negro" I recall once when learning about the African Continant, some of the kids were mispronouncing the names of the countries Niger and Nigeria (whether intentional or not) and I thought the teacher was going to expell them. An African-American man (is that politically correct? LOL)visited our classroom and said that he (and his race) were not "Black" they weren't "Niggers" they wanted to be called "Negro" (I don't even know if African-American existed then) but it still bothered me to call them that.

    ReplyDelete